Sexual harassment and misconduct are serious issues in higher education.
Recent statistics show that students in England and Wales are over three times more likely than average to have experienced sexual assault*. Sample studies also suggest that 46%* of people experience gender-based violence including sexual harassment whilst in higher education.**
Universities and colleges must develop effective systems, policies and processes to prevent harassment and sexual misconduct and respond effectively if incidents occur.
Chaired by the Office of the Independent Adjudicator, Westminster Insight’s annual Tackling Sexual Harassment and Misconduct in Higher Education 2023 Conference will be a timely opportunity to learn about the steps you should be taking to protect students and strengthen reporting processes. How can you provide holistic support for students, on and off campus, through strong partnership working?
With calls from the OfS for universities to ensure they have a fair process for handling sexual misconduct and harassment reports, we will share best practice from across the sector. We will look at creating safe spaces for disclosures and adopting a trauma-informed approach.
In light of ongoing consultation around staff-student relationships, we will outline your legal responsibilities and examine your duty of care to students and staff.
Join us face to face in Central London or online.
*UK Parliament, February 2022
**Higher Education After #MeToo
: May 2023
- Establishing clear policies and procedures
- Upholding your duty of care: discussing your legal responsibilities
- Developing an effective response to reports of sexual harassment and misconduct: adopting a trauma-informed approach
- Creating safe spaces including for all students to report sexual harassment, including those from minority groups
- Best practice – what works when tackling harassment and sexual misconduct in higher education?
- Adopting a preventative approach to sexual harassment: providing training for staff and students
- Effective complaint handling: ensuring university students feel safe and supported
Venue Details and Access
In-person – This conference will take place at the Institution of Structural Engineers, Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PS. Attend in person or online to network, build relationships and learn from your peers..