Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) plays a crucial role in driving the UK’s progress and economic growth. However, the STEM workforce lacks adequate representation of diverse perspectives, limiting its creativity, problem-solving capabilities and ability to maintain a competitive edge on the global stage.
Westminster Insight’s Conference explores how to overcome barriers facing underrepresented demographics in STEM education, research and employment settings.
There is still vast underrepresentation in STEM with a particular lack of women, ethnic minorities, disabled people, LGBTQ+ and individuals from economically disadvantaged groups. Our expert panel will explore unique and common barriers for specific groups and how these can be overcome.
Attend to hear recommendations from the House of Commons Science and Technology Select Committee’s 2023 report on Diversity and Inclusion in STEM. There will be a focus on improving the attractiveness and options of STEM education to young people, building the STEM teaching workforce and improving careers guidance in schools.
Hear from STEM businesses who are leading the way in creating inclusive workplace cultures to attract and retain diverse talent, including adopting flexible working policies, improving recruitment and career progression.
Explore examples of successful collaboration between education and industry to improve access to STEM careers and build a sustainable talent pipeline to plug the STEM skills gap.
Don’t miss your opportunity to learn how to support greater diversity in STEM education, training and careers so that we can build a STEM sector that is representative of the population.
- Strategies to embed diversity and inclusivity into STEM education, research and industry
- Challenging stereotypes, raising aspirations and showcasing role-models in STEM for underrepresented groups
- Improving underrepresented young people’s participation in STEM education
- Promoting inclusive workplace cultures through effective recruitment, retention and progression
- Developing skills and sustainable talent pipelines through collaboration between STEM industry and education
- Hear success stories from individuals about what helped them access STEM and thrive in their careers